19 November 2011

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

This morning I beheld a rather interesting scene. I saw this maasai man walk past me. I could tell he was maasai because of his long pierced earlobes and his dressing. He walked past where I was. What actually made me notice him in the midst of so many people was the the sound of a lamb bleating.


He was carrying a bottle of milk. I imagined that must have been taken from an ewe. Right behind him was this little lamb that was following him up close. Following the lamb were two other sheep. What surprised me was that the animals were following the maasai man on their own accord. He did not need to coax them like usually happens. He was just this common man making his way around with three sheep following him in a city estate. Effortlessly.


That scene will not leave my mind for a while. I wish I could have had time to ask that man why the sheep follow him so faithfully. Why there is no effort on his part. Why they trust him to follow him so. Could it be about the bottle of milk he carried? But that was no reason for the bigger sheep to follow too. In my own thinking, those sheep must know him well. He must be their owner. And that really got me thinking. I thought of the love the sheep must have for their owner. A love that is full of trust. They follow him where he leads because they know that he can do them no harm.


It was a picture of trust. I thought to myself, this must be the perfect picture of Jesus the shepherd and we the lambs. This must be the way he wants us to trust and follow him. Confident in his love and faithfulness. Knowing that no matter where the road leads he will take care of us. Doesn't matter that the road could sometimes get rough and unfamiliar. We can go along because he goes ahead of us! He is willing to take on anything that might stand up in our way. We are covered!


God ministers to us differently. I believe that scene this morning had such a powerful message to relay. That it is just fine to follow my shepherd. To follow where he leads me. Though often times I may not know what lies ahead of me I can still trust him to carry me along the difficult patches. That he understands more than I do how to handle different situations in my life. I am now looking at the 23rd psalm in new light. Because today served as a special reminder of the Lords commitment in leading those that are his.


How I pray that I will find strength to follow. To trust him with all that is mine. To not question but just follow. Knowing that no matter what I am safe in the father's arms. Because the good shepherd he is, he gave his life for me. I am bought with a price. He will take care of me! He will fight my battles for me.


A Psalm of David. the Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters.
 He restoreth my soul; He guideth me in straight paths for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.



2 comments:

Project44 said...

The whole truth.......nice one.

Milli said...

Thanks for passing by.